This delicious recipe is amazingly simple and, for those who are weight conscious , is very low in calories or Syns. It makes an ideal accompaniment to all kinds of grilled or roast meats, fish or a slice of a quiche. You can adapt it by adding some chopped onions, some smoked bacon lardons, different herbs you might have in the garden. Just experiment.
500grm potatoes(locally grown if possible) peeled or scrubbed
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
300 ml water
Salt and pepper
Optional – 100gm, smoked Dapple cheese (or other smoked cheese) grated
- Boil the water and dissolve the stock cube
- If the potatoes are medium sized, cut them in half and arrange them on the bottom of a lidded, medium-sized oven-proof dish. (Use foil if you don’t have a lid.)
- Pour the stock over the potatoes – it should almost cover them .
- Put in a preheated oven – 180C for about 40 minutes
- Test the potatoes with a knife – if the knife goes easily into the potatoes they are done.
- Remove the lid or foil and sprinkle with the grated cheese if you wish.
© Cathie Corbin