This dish was one of several simple recipes involving potatoes demonstrated by Jill Willis at her famous cooking workshops at the Slow Food Aylsham stall at the Aylsham Show in 2018.
15ml vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
Approx 200g potato peelings, clean
500ml whole milk
500ml vegetable or chicken stock
Freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley
Fresh sage leaves, fried
Chopped bacon pieces, fried until crisp
- Gently cook the chopped onion in the oil and butter with the bay leaf, until softened but not coloured.
- Add the potato peelings and continue to cook gently until everything is coated in the oil and butter mix.
- Add milk and chosen stock with nutmeg, salt and a good pinch of black pepper. Continue to cook gently until potato peelings are tender.
- Allow to cool slightly before blending until very smooth.
- Return to pan. Check seasoning and add parsley. Reheat gently.
- Serve with fried sage leaves and bacon pieces.